Saturday, December 15, 2012

Saturday - December 16, 2012



We visited Duke this week in Durham and, no, Coach K did not summon me for advice.  However, the latest plan on treatment is for me to have one more round of chemo via stomach shots which will begin on 7 January 2013.  After that, I will go back to Duke on 16 Jan and have another bone marrow biopsy which should give us information on whether the leukemia cells are down to less than 5%.  If not, I will get more chemo through an IV at the hospital for 30 days (5 days of doses and 25 days of recovery monitoring).  Either way, I will then consult with the Bone Marrow Transplant Team who will decide if I am a viable candidate.  When the transplant which takes only a couple of days is complete, I will stay near the hospital for at least 90 days for daily monitoring.  We understand that various apartments or condoes are available for use for patients being monitored.


An interesting, to me, side effect of medication that I been taken to relieve the fluid retention which was putting pressure on the heart is that I have lost 25 pounds and have good energy and no shortness of breath.  Guess I will have to start taking out the garbage again. 

So, we have a plan.  

 

Jane, Joyse, and I went over to Asheville last night to see Ike perform at Asheville Gymnastics where he coaches and participates in their Adult Gymnastics Program.  It was a great show with all gymnasts included.  Ike did a solo floor exercise performance which was as good if not better as he performed while in high school.  His routine included a double and other impressive flips which resulted in gasps from the crowd.  His still ring performance was also impressive as he has really gotten his body in shape.  We all had dinner at Tupelo Honey Cafe after the performance.  At 31, he might want to slow down the show a little, but he has certainly still has the talent.


Here is a picture of skinny Doug/Papa with hair.




"Pray for intestanal fortitude, work hard, and keep the faith.  Oh and pray for good luck, you're going to need it."  Jerry Reid, Musician

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan. Hell of a diet though! I'll pass...I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look like a rock star! Wow....take advantage if this to build up your strength. Cannot wait to see you and all be together at Christmas!
    Sounds like a solid plan of attack. Any sites in Durham?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I have been here to see your strength and good humor (well sometimes) through this. You look great and I love that the color is back in your cheeks. You are a hell of a fighter.

    ReplyDelete