Saturday, August 25, 2012

Saturday Update 25 August 2012 

Visited with main Doc on Thursday after dismissal from hospital.  My numbers were exceptionally good i.e. Hemo 10.0, Platelets 265 up from 56, ANC 4.24 up from 2.2.

I will begin demethylating treatment on Monday 27 August as an out-patient here in Brevard.  It consists of  5 days of Vidaza injections then 3 weeks off and repeating this for several months.  This drug attacks leukemia cells in a different way by changing cell DNA  which can kill the cells.  Routine blood tests will be used to monitor progress with bone marrow biopsies done periodically.  It will be 4-6 months from now before we will know if Vidaza has done the trick.  So we are in a wait and see pattern holding great hope for a sucessful outcome.

When I asked Dr. Pollack if the 40 days at St. Joe's was a waste of time, he said, "no."  Result of total remission was not obtained but cancer cells were greatly reduced (55% down to 15%).  Platelets jumped from 50's to over 250.  Also when I arrived at the hospital, I was classified as a compromised patient (meaning I had a very low immune system) but my ANC reported on Thursday was well within the normal range.  All good positive results.

It is my intention to post on a weekly basis in the future on Saturdays unless there is a significant piece of news.  I want to thank everyone for their support and prayers during this period.  The cards, notes, e-mails, blog comments have kept me going.  Thank you!

I must sign off as the Redskins are playing their last pre-season game and I need to see how our new man "RG3" does as QB.  Go Skins!!! 

3 comments:

  1. Great report Bro. The Brevard ABC store will be very happy to see this. Bro J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Dad, you are strong and we're praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news still praying for complete remission

    ReplyDelete